Leveraging extensive programming and analytical expertise, the WordPress Software Engineer will work independently or on a team to analyze, implement, and support a complete, custom WordPress website and web application environment and associated integrated system and database applications. This position will be a primary front- and back-end (full-stack) development resource across NASA IT applications. The Senior WordPress Software Engineer will work closely with groups across NASA and outside vendors to lead and support modernization and redesign projects. The WordPress Software Engineer will be expected to apply critical thinking to user experience and functionality across the portfolio. This position may lead or guide other team members through direct and indirect management, training, mentoring, and influence. The WordPress Software Engineer will contribute to IT strategic planning, project leadership, design, modernization, business process improvement, and compliance.
Responsible for full life-cycle of medium to large sized complex projects; strong technical skills; strong ability to understand complex business processes. Develops solutions based on extensive technical knowledge, skills and experience; influences client towards innovative/integrated solutions.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
- Implement the technical aspects of new client WordPress sites
- Development of website backends, including WordPress taxonomies, custom fields, customized database configuration, and external APIs
- Migration of content from existing Drupal websites into WordPress
- Some development of responsive website frontends, using WordPress templates built on Timber, Sass, Advanced Custom Fields Pro, and the Gutenberg editor
- Assist our team of PMs, designers, and other developers in planning and designing new sites. We value developer input throughout the development process
- Troubleshoot and resolve usability and technical issues on existing client sites
- Test and deploy feature and plugin updates to existing client sites
- Provide technical consultancy services to clients and fellow team members
- Develop reusable, easy-to-understand code
Other similar professional duties maybe assigned as needed
- 3-4 years experience with WordPress, ideally in a client service capacity
· Bachelor’s degree required.
- Solid knowledge of WordPress Platform, WordPress Custom Theme, Plugins
- Expertise in optimizing performance of WordPress sites.
- Web Services, ReactJS, Angular, Angular2, Webpack, Gulp
- Bootstrap (or similar platform) or USWDS
- Demonstrable experience with UI and UX principles, concepts, and techniques.
- Expertise with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Expertise implementing responsive designs
- Experience using debugging tools such as XDebug and Chrome Inspector
- Strong understanding of most aspects of front-end and back-end website development
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management, organization, and attention to detail.
- Exemplary customer service skills.
- Demonstrable critical thinking and problem solving.
- Ability to thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving and constantly evolving high growth environment.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- JAVA development or support experience.
- Experience working in AWS cloud
- Experience working with containerized workloads
- Experience upgrading and migrating legacy web applications.
- Experience participating in Agile projects.