A typical day in the life of a senior developer with our agency client is a combination of project work, internal initiatives, troubleshooting, meeting with clients and team members to provide guidance and support, scoping new projects, and assisting other developers in solving complex problems. On any given week, you might be working on a large custom website, unique integrations with 3rd party sources, or helping others tackle unusual challenges.
They are, primarily, an advanced WordPress shop with a sophisticated AWS infrastructure, though they are not limited to either platform. Your primary duties will involve building and supporting both custom and (to a lesser degree) templated WordPress sites. Much of this will focus on continuing to build out the core theme, helping to improve efficiencies and quality across the team, and of course, coding like a beast.
You will report directly to the VP of Development while working alongside the Team Lead to facilitate production across all aspects of the business. If there’s code involved, you’re an influencer.
They are looking for positive, forward-thinking, proactive individuals who are obsessed with making the internet better. They seek creative people who aren’t afraid to share and fight for their ideas. Schooling is important, but what they care about is your real-world work experience.
- 4-year degree in a computer science program, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of real-world experience building complex and large websites (agency work preferred, but not required)
- Advanced knowledge of WordPress with solid experience in custom theme development and custom CMS solutions
- Strong understanding of Git version control and branching strategies
- Advanced knowledge of PHP and object-oriented programming (OOP) best practices (unit testing is a bonus)
- Proficiency in algorithm design
- Strong understanding of WordPress architecture and file structure.
- Experience with WordPress plugins like Advanced Custom Fields (including Flexible Content), Elementor customization, Gravity Forms, and WooCommerce
- Familiarity with hosting solutions such AWS, cPanel, and others
- REST APIs (especially the WordPress REST API)
- Expertise with MySQL and writing performant data queries
- Experience with Composer, Gulp, Webpack bundler, CSS preprocessors such as SASS or LESS, NPM, Yarn, or equivalent dependency management experience
- Familiarity with architecture styles and API calls (REST, RPC, SOAP, etc.)
- Familiarity with web accessibility standards
- Experience using the terminal/command line
- Exceptional analytical and troubleshooting skills with attention to detail
Excellence in Communication:
- Clear – Use vocabulary appropriate for the audience (technical / non-technical). Speak with good annunciation and pace; write with simple, direct statements using correct spelling, grammar and mechanics.
- Concise – respect the recipient’s time by investing some of yours to plan ahead before meeting, or to make revisions before clicking Send
- Complete – it takes forethought to get it done on the first try
- Timely – we all win when everyone has enough time to respond
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience with Custom Shopify Development
- Experience with React, Next.js or Gatsby
- Qualities That Matter To Our Team
- A good work ethic, positive attitude, and you enjoy helping others
- Commitment to ongoing education as a Web Developer, showing excitement and enthusiasm about new technologies and solutions
- Interest in developing and supporting processes and workflows that increase team efficiency and productivity
- Commitment to writing lean, extensible code that is easy to maintain and understandable to future developers
- Resourcefulness – you know how to find answers and develop creative solutions to problems
- You have ideas on how to improve code and are not afraid to share and defend them
- Not afraid to ask for help, teachable, a quick study, and have the ability to be flexible when “stuff happens”
- Understand deadlines and can complete a variety of tasks throughout the week with autonomy as needed
- Excited about contributing back to open-source technologies
- Comfortable communicating via Slack and participating in video calls with team members and clients while working remotely
What Does Success Look Like?
Success in this role means you’ve improved their ability to deliver world-class websites effectively and with undeniable quality. You have helped mentor and lead your team members to higher levels of skill, and created new efficiencies, scripts, programs, templates that cut down on the grunt work that no one wants to do.