Blenderbox is looking for a Lead WordPress Engineer with Full Stack competence to provide technical leadership for our WordPress project teams.
We seek a new trusted teammate that shares our passion for mission-driven work and recognizes the value of modern software development practices. The ideal candidate will be well-accomplished and eager to embrace a healthy challenge.
Our Lead WordPress Engineer at Blenderbox will be responsible for driving development and support of WordPress software products designed for our higher education, nonprofit and government clients.
Cross-functional collaboration is key at Blenderbox. The proper candidate will thrive working within agile, cross-functional teams and proactively contribute subject matter expertise.
This is a USA-based full-time remote position . The majority of your work will be focused on back-end engineering, templating, code reviews, with occasional front-end engineering.
At Blenderbox, we operate within a system of transparency and open communication that accelerates progress and allows for a healthy work / life balance.
You will be working with talented people that are forward-thinking and compassionate.
- Become the guiding voice of our WordPress Practice
- Establish and maintain a trusting work environment through demonstration of empathy and expert technical competence
- Integrate functional, technical, and business requirements into efficient and scalable software designs
- Collaborate with UX / UI Designers and advise on technical feasibility of proposed design approaches.
- Compose and maintain detailed technical specifications.
- Solve technical challenges using available open source modules / plug-ins and follow modern best practices.
- Write secure, performant, maintainable and testable code for client and internal projects.
- Proactively raise and help resolve issues throughout the software product lifecycle.
- Contribute technical expertise in client meetings and communications.
- Proactively and clearly communicate technical risks and tradeoffs to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Prior experience in a digital agency environment
- 4+ years experience with OOP PHP / LAMP-stack applications
- 2+ years of production experience with WordPress including 5.0+ and Gutenberg
- Experience with content migrations
- Experience with Caching technologies (CDN, Redis, Varnish, MemCache).
- Experience with popular WordPress managed hosting providers such as WP Engine or Pantheon.
- Working knowledge of software security and performance optimization principles
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with cross-functional teams
- Ability to troubleshoot technical issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Solid problem solving, organizational and time management skills
- US Citizen or authorized to work in the United States.
Nice to have:
- Experience in other content management systems / frameworks
- Experience with Lucene-based search (e.g. SOLR, ElasticSearch)
- Experience with React and/or NodeJS
- Experience with modern static site generators
- Experience configuring and maintaining CI/CD pipelines and writing automated tests
$90-125k commensurate with experience
What we offer:
- Full coverage for Health Care, Dental, Vision
- FSA, HSA coverage options
- 401K & Pension Plan with employer contributions of at least 5%
- 20 days of PTO, 11 Holidays, 5 Wellness Days
- Home office improvement budget
- Career growth and professional development coaching / support
- Company-provided laptop
- 100% virtual work environment – all team members are remote
Blenderbox is a values-based virtual agency with subject matter experts distributed around the United States with headquarters in New York City. We have over 20 years of experience building websites and applications for mission-driven organizations, primarily for nonprofit, educational, and governmental organizations.
Our culture is one of inclusion, transparency and pride. Our team works cross-functionally and collaboratively on a diversity of projects that are reflective of our shared core values.