The University of Tennessee Extension is seeking a frontend web developer who will design and develop data-driven web interfaces for UT Extension in a WordPress environment. Our web presence is critical to UT Extension’s mission to improve the quality of life and solve problems for the people of Tennessee. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a team of skilled developers to build systems that make a difference in the lives of Tennesseans.
Front-end Web Development
This position will collaborate with others to determine how custom systems, front-end development, and back-end development can work best together for the best customer experience.
System Integration Planning and Development
- Engages application developers in design discussions to determine design specifications and ensure alignment with needs of the application with needs of the end-user. Leads discussions with stakeholders and developers of multiple existing applications to identify needs, document requirements, and write specifications as it pertains to system integrations.
Training, Documentation, and Discussion
- Schedules, prepares materials, and leads in-person and remote system evaluation sessions to determine effectiveness of system design as per specifications. Documents any needed changes or updates and reports to stakeholders. Creates short, concise instructional materials targeted to a diverse audience. Documents processes and code in alignment with industry standards. Participates and contributes to group developer discussion meetings. Fulfils other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of WordPress, including theme development and architecture.
- Working knowledge of PHP and its utilization in WordPress.
- Working knowledge of consuming REST API’s in WordPress.
- Ability to problem-solve, test, and apply technical solutions to informational needs without supervision.
- Ability to document the application solution and testing process\procedures so that documentation\instructions can be understood by both technical and non-technical personnel.
- Ability to facilitate, lead, create and deliver training materials to diverse audiences in various formats. Willingness to obtain skills and abilities as needed. Intermediate skills in decision-making, critical thinking, planning, and crisis management.
- Ability and skills necessary to work with end-users to troubleshoot/resolve issues in a calm, respectful, and inquisitive manner.
- Intermediate knowledge of modern responsive front-end web development technologies.
- Working knowledge of user-interface (UI) design and wire-framing applications.
- Working knowledge of user-experience (UX) heuristics and evaluation processes.
- Understanding of the integration of front-end and back-end including, but limited to, .NET projects and applications with RDBMS databases such SQL Server.
- Basic knowledge of modern software design and development methodologies.
- Ability to create tools to optimize user experience based on user feedback and design specifications.
- Knowledge of modern SCM (software configuration management).
- Understanding of University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture, specifically UT Extension.
- Ability to document software processes in a way that understood by a diverse audience.
- Ability to create instructional materials in a way that is understood by a diverse audience.