Report to: UX & Digital Director
Position type: Full-time
Work experience: Senior – min. 8 years of experience
Min. education: BS in Computer Science or related field
Opus is a creative services agency made up of designers, developers, and strategists who are passionate about empowering inspiring leaders at mission-driven organizations to deeply connect with their audiences and to exceed their goals. We are looking to add an exceptional developer to our creative, collaborative, and fun team. The developer will be responsible for implementing responsive and accessible WordPress and Drupal themes based on design mockups. The focus of the work will be front-end development, but backend experience is needed for configurations, content migration, and common integrations. The developer will also be a leader of continuous process improvement initiatives for our development practice.
US-based applicants only, please.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Develop responsive and accessible WordPress and Drupal websites including configurations and front-end styling.
- Collaborate with the UX and design teams to plan technical execution and support writing technical and functional specifications.
- Implement design mockups to fully functional themes with extreme attention to detail
- Migrate content from existing websites to new websites
- Implement common integrations with WordPress and Drupal sites which will be identified during discovery and UX. Examples are: email communication tools (Mailchimp etc), RSS feeds, calendar tools, authentication tools (Kerberos, MIT Touchstone, etc), Salesforce, databases, etc
- Manage time and stakeholder expectations by setting and consistently meeting deadlines
- Maintain and implement excellent coding standards
- Collaborate and coordinate with team of developers
- Occasionally participate in client meetings to discuss development approaches/site functionality and design implications
- Troubleshoot browser/device inconsistencies and perform cross-browser reconciliation
- Produce 100% valid HTML, bug-free
- Contribute to creating guidelines and processes for digital project management, asset creation, development, delivery, and archiving
- Deploy websites when ready for launch, coordinate hosting as needed
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, action-oriented environment
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Experience developing custom themes, modules/plugins for WordPress and Drupal, our focus is WordPress
- Min. 8 years of experience
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with developing accessible websites
- Advanced Git skills and respective branching strategies
- Basic knowledge of Search Engine Optimization process
- Ability to customize WordPress with minimal use of plug-ins
- Knowledge of relational databases (MySQL/PostgreSQL), data manipulation with SQL-queries.
- Natural curiosity for emerging trends and technologies, and willingness to learn and share
- Motivated, reliable self-starter
- Smart problem-solver, strategic thinker with an ability to “figure stuff out”
- Good judgement calls about the balance between doing it right and getting it done
- Ability to navigate and succeed in a fast-paced, action-oriented environment
- Other items, helpful but not required
- Interest in good design and learning about design
- Knowledge of Adobe XD and Figma
- Experience working with education, nonprofit, or food industry
- Experience working with/leading a team of developers
- Competitive salary
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Company matched 401k
- Extensive and flexible paid time off
- Comprehensive family leave support
- Sabbatical at tenure
- Annual professional development stipend
- Fully paid Think Days
Location: Boston, MA
We support a flexible-location work model. You may choose to work from our studio in Boston, remotely, or a hybrid that is best for you. We only require in-person attendance at our studio 6-8 times per year for 2-3 days at a time. These sessions, which are all scheduled well in advance, keep us all connected by combining working sessions, group discussions, and fun activities.
How to apply
Please send your resume, cover letter, and portfolio to Skadi Gidionsen.